Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Memories of the 63 Diner

I really regret not eating at the 63 Diner as much as I should have. The food was great and it was always an experience since I never seemed to have enough room for my elbows. I always went with small groups and the waitress would stuff us together in a small booth. Every one's food would be delivered covering the small tabletop enticing you to grab a bite from someones plate. And the joy of eating shoulder to shoulder reminded me of a Army Mess Hall where you had little room to spread out.

One of the charms of the Diner was the size, it was small which meant you had to wait in a line for a table. I remember going there at 3PM and having to wait for a table. But if the restaurant had been any larger it would have lost it's charm. It was full of 1950's decor and was a feast for the eyes as well as the stomach. I would notice something different each time I ate there, a poster or hub cap or an advertisement sign from the past. My main regret is not trying something different from the menu. I always ordered a cheeseburger and fries which I thought was excellent so why should I change. To this day when I go to a restaurant I will order something different from the menu because you never know how long they will be in business.

The 63 Diner closed recently making the local news. The new owners could not get out of debt even with all the business they had. It was said by those in the know the group of people who bought the place paid way too much for it and partner after partner tried to get out of their share of the business. There is still hope that the 63 Diner may reopen with new owners but I think that may be too late. If it does reopen I will definitely order something other than the classic cheeseburger and fries.

No comments: